The ancient name of Tinsukia was Bangmara which was orginally
known as Changmai Pathar. It was the capital
of Muttack Kingdom. The Bangmara city was
built by King Sarbananda Singha with the help of his Minister Gopinath
Barbaruah alies Godha. The city was built
in the middle of the present Tinsukia City (near the Senairam H.S. School).
As per the direction of Sarbananda Singha, Godha Baruah
dug a triangler shaped pond in Bangmara which is known as
"Tinikunia Pukhuri". In 1884 Dibru-Sadiya Rail line was constructed and
a station was setup near the "Tinikunia Phukhuri" which was named as Tinsukia.
Since then the City was popularly known as Tinsukia.
The muttack Kingdom occupied a distinct place in the
history of Assam during the later part of the 18th century and the early
part of 19th century. The Moamareeyas or the Muttacks turned the history
of the mighty Ahom Kingdom by leading the historic Moamareeya Rebellion,
which may be described as the first socio-political movement in
the history of Assam.
|A view of Tinikunia Pukhuri|
According to the map prepared by Captain Hemilton
Vetch in 1841, a large portion of present Dibrugarh and Tinsukia district
had been identified as "Bengmara Country of Moamareeya Tribe"
with its capital at Bengmara (present Tinsukia). In the history of Assam, this
Bengmara Country was later popularly known as Muttack Country of Soumar,
early name of a region in the North East corner of Assam.
The First King of Muttack Kingdom was Swargadeo Sarbananda Singha. Sarbananada Singha
established his capital at Rangagarah
situated in the bank of river Guijan. In 1791 A.D. he transferred his capital
Several tanks were dug in the days of Sarbananda Singha viz.,Chauldhuwa
Pukhuri,Kadamoni pukhuri,Da Dharua Pukhuri, Mahdhuwa Pukhuri, Bator pukhuri,Logoni Pukhuri,
Na-Pukhuri,Devi Pukhuri,Kumbhi Pukhuri,Rupahi Pukhuri etc.
Apart from the these ponds there are many ancient roads constructed in different parts
of the Muttack territory. Godha-Borbaruah road, Rangagarah road,
Rajgor road and Hatiali road were main roads within the territory.
Swargadeo Sarbananda Singha
Swargadeo Sarbananda Singha was the first King of Muttack Kingdom.
Earlier known as Mezera, who rose from a very humble position to become an
able administrator. His determination, spirit and love for freedom is
After becoming King, Mezara adopted the name Sarbananda Singha. Sarbananda
Singha introduced coins after his name. In Saka 1716 and 1717 he inscribed
the title Swargadeo in the coins.
|TINSUKIA DURING BRITISH ERA|
In 1823 British first discovered Tea Plant in Sadiya and the first Tea Plantation was
started in Chabua near Tinsukia. The name Chabua comes from "Chah-Buwa"(Tea
|In 1876 Coal was found near Ledo and Margherita|
|In 1882 Crude Oil was struck in Digboi and Country's first Oil
well was built at Digboi in 1889 and the refinary which was later built
at Digboi was the first refinary in Asia and third in the World.
|In 1882 the "Dibru-Sadiya Railwayline" was
inaugurated through Tinsukia, which was the turning point in the
Economical History of North-east India.|
|Adarsha Prathamic Vidyalaya, First educational institute of
Tinsukia, was established in 1897|
|On 20th March'1934 Mahatma Gandhi visited Tinsukia and addressed
a public meeting at Kachujan field.|
|In 1934 Jawaharlala Nehru visited Tinsukia,Digboi,Doomdooma etc.|
||Country's first Oil well Built at Digboi in 1889
||Tea Garden that gives riches and greenery to Tinsukia
||Oil Collection Station of Oil India Ltd.
||The Steam Engine of 1884-still in service at NECF(CIL) Margherita
||The Emenrgency Landing Strip near Ledo used by Allied Force
during World War-II
||Ledo Brick-Factory second in Asia
The Web Site has been designed and developed by
Sri B.R. Gohain,DIO. NIC Tinsukia
Copyright © 2002 NIC, Tinsukia. All right reserved